Looking for a budget comparison on how much it is to travel to Australia?
The perfect way to see Australia on a budget is to caravan, use free camping campsites and budget your holiday destinations. In this blog post, we share with you how cheaply we can travel to Australia as a family and how to make a road trip around Australia an inexpensive holiday for you.
Believe it or not, we live cheaper on the road, than in a house! Our current ‘on the road’ living costs are averaging us $464 per week. But our budgeting skills are not for the faint hearted and if you want to live this cheaply, it will require you to make sacrifices. It’s been 17 weeks (almost 4 months) since we left our house, and this is a summary of how cheaply a ‘See Australian Road Trip’ can be.
We eat well – lately a little too well and both parents are getting extra squishy bits. Note to self; eat less, exercise more! As mentioned previously, I (Noela) was studying for my degree in Nutrition, so low preservative and wholesome foods are a MUST.
Our weekly food and grocery bill are averaging at $179 per week (family of four). Plus an extra $26 per week for takeaways.
Ekkkk – we didn’t want to calculate this one. We justify it as we’re in a pop-up camper van and rarely more than 5 metres away from our kids! Lol Drum roll…
$53 per week – better work on reducing that one ASAP!
We still haven’t been into a caravan park!
Our solar set up is awesome, so will only go to a caravan park for location, not power. We mainly free camp but love our National Parks.
Our weekly accommodation bill is… only $29 per week.
The best things in life are free… right? Nature walks are our favourite thing to do, followed very closely by museums. Three times on this trip already we’ve been ushered out the door of museums at its closing time – the kids sure do love history! Whenever we do something, we have a terrible habit of looking for a voucher – family am I, right?
We’ve got a few tours planned so this category will rise in the coming months, but currently, it’s $10 per week.
ADDITIONS AND SCHOOL SUPPLIES
Who would have thought that our 8-year-old porta-potty would ever give up – but it did, and not in a good way. We also have had to replace tables, frypans, buy a very important crab pot and new Ryobi tool (argghhh!) AND repair the dreaded leaky canvas.
Costing us $48 per week.
CAR AND VAN MAINTENANCE
Joes’ a mechanic so our vehicle servicing costs will eventually be lower. However, we will have insurance, rego and tyres due towards the end of the year!
Currently at $32 per week.
We have travelled over 6,600 km and spent $1,480 on FUEL. We aren’t on a time frame and are travelling S L O W. Our V8 Landcruiser has had a recently upgraded exhaust and a DIESEL RE-MAP.
She’s sucking in an average fuel bill of $87 per week.
We’ll write later about the re-tuning, and our before and after fuel consumptions.
We suspect Additions and Maintenance will drop in price shortly and we would absolutely be stoked; to be sitting comfortably around $420 per week. So what’re your thoughts? How do we compare? Message us any questions and we’ll endeavour to expand on anything further.
So far, we:
– Haven’t murdered each other, but there was one close call today! Ha Ha
– Travelled in New South Wales and Queensland – out west and currently up to the coast.
– Not doubted our lifestyle choice once!
– Meet some of the nicest fellow travellers and locals.
– Missed our families a billion trillion times, but know their only a phone call or flight away.
– Thought of our well cared for Daschund dog, one million times.
– Not burnt through our savings.. yet!
– Have given our kids the best education and childhood we possibly can.
– Grabbed every opportunity, and not let a moment pass us by.
– Laughed at each other’s stuff ups, many, many times.
– Damaged the Goldstream zero times, damaged the Cruiser once. Dang that jumping tree stump hitting our side step.
– Had two kiddies birthdays and parties on the road.
– Not used our recovery gear once – must try harder.
Need more advice? We’d love to hear from you. We love travelling as a family, sharing our handy advice and saying YES to every adventure! Send us a message and connect in with us on Social Media – , , and