We made it to the Dinosaur Capital of Australia – Winton! We are all so excited to be here, that we thought we would share our tips for making the most out of visiting the Australian Age of Dinosaurs.
What a fabulous learning experience for all of us! The museum has three main sections – the Lab, the Collection Room and the stunning views at The Jump Up. It’s pretty amazing to think the newly discovered dinosaur bones that the kids watched being cleaned up in the Lab, may be what they take their kids to see in museums later!
The life sized bronze statues, recreation of Lark Quarry and the tracing dinosaur activity really put things nicely into perspective for the kids. This place was very geared towards INCLUDING families. There is even specimens that kids are allowed to touch (gently)!
We had such a great time, made even more special as we met another awesome travelling family Clarke Family Capers.
Can’t wait to meet with you guys again, what a blast our day/night was!
We’ve decided that when our kids are over 12 years we will be back here. 3rd lap of Australia kids? Lol
From age 12, you can be part of the team that’s prepares the fossils! From 18, you can participate in an actual dig looking for fossils! How incredibly would those experiences be?
FOR THOSE PLANNING TO VISIT:
- Take water, in a sealed bottle
- Book at least a day in advance
- Arrive early as it’s a 10 minutes walk up to the Lab where our first tour started.
- If you do the full tour, allow 4 hours and either pack quick easy snacks for the kids or their is a cafe on site.
- The morning tour is suppose to be less crowded but ours was busier than usual (lots of keen learners!)
- We would have preferred to have had a break between the second and third tour, but surprisingly the kids kept engaged for nearly the whole time.
- There is other free walks you can do in the area as well, so could make it a 3/4 day visit.
- There is an awesome schedule for this school holidays if anyone is keen to make the trip – additional interactive low cost activities. I’ll see if I can find the schedule and put it up in the comments.
- If you are considering doing Lark Quarry as well (like us), the combination pass saves a few $$$